This past week, my team and I finished up Project #4. I worked on search with results highlighting and some general UI changes. While I was trying to figure out how to do results highlighting, I found a React library that implemented highlighting for me, so instead of developing my own solution, I just used that library. It made me realize that there are already-built solutions for so many problems, and instead of reinventing the wheel again, I can just use those instead. After Project #4, I finished my Modern Web Applications project, wrote my lines for my Japanese group skit, and lazed around for too many hours. I'm eagerly waiting for Thanksgiving Break to arrive, because I need a break (and lots of food).
As of now, nothing is really in my way. This next phase is not coding-heavy, so that's a relief. Rather, my group and I will need to figure out what we can visualize on our site. We already have a few small pie charts on our site, but I think we'll have to come up with a more unique and comprehensive visualization of all the data we've gathered. I'm just glad that I won't necessarily have to code over Thanksgiving Break.
Next week is only two days of classes, so I probably won't be doing anything productive. My team will look at our developer team's API and discuss what we can use to produce our three data visualizations. I'll also be accepting an offer for an internship position next summer, which is a huge burden taken off my back. The past few years, I got my internships late in the spring, but next semester, I might end up spend career fair lazing around instead.
Project #4 wasn't too bad, thanks to SQLAlchemy and other libraries taking a lot of the burdensome work off our backs. We did encounter some confusion with the requirements. For example, we weren't sure how filtering, sorting, and searching were supposed to work when used together, and what attributes we were supposed to be searching on. Since we were just trying to get the implementation details down, there is a lot of repetitive code in our codebase, but hopefully we can refactor a lot of that out in this phase.
Can't really think of anything, but the highlighting library I used was react-highlight-words. Awesome guy created a React component for highlighting, so all you have to do is provide the text and the search words.